SaaS CRM software

Broomly

ResearchDesign | Prototype

 

Overview


Our goal was to redesign an existing CRM software from the information architecture to the interface, making the product scalable and saleable for Broomly, an expanding Home Services Start-up as our capstone General Assembly client project.

 

Project Details


Duration: 3 weeks

Objective: to redesign a SaaS CRM Software

Software: Axure, Illustrator

Success Metrics: an intuitive design for Broomly's current users and future vision alike.

 

Challenge


Broomly began as Maids Around Town, a maid service provider. As the company acquired other home service provider companies (pool cleaning, lawn care, mobile car wash) and outgrew their CRM software, they built their own management software. With many iterations, capability increased and the software became robust enough to sell as a product to other Home Service Providers. Our mission was to redesign the software by restructuring the information, creating a cohesive flow, and designing a more intuitive interface, making Broomly scaleable and saleable.

 

Solution: See the prototype here

Research


As newcomers to the Home Services Industry, our first challenge was to learn the ins and outs of the CRM software. We did this by setting up an account and jumping right into the sea of jargon and structure that was Broomly. After we had a loose grip on the software, we traveled to the Broomly office and shadowed employees as they went about their daily tasks. This process helped us to understand how the business functioned and how the software was used.

After leaving that initial meeting with our users, we understood more the scope of the project. The software was confusing and complex, possessing many functions, all necessary, but organized in a dysfunctional manner. Color and style were not consistent, as evidenced by an audit that I performed.

 
Buttons, fonts, colors on the site and software

Buttons, fonts, colors on the site and software

 

As further research, we also conducted an analysis of other software (Dispatch, Jobber, and Housecall Pro) to supplement some research that Broomly had already conducted. This was valuable in understanding the market, noting what works, what doesn't, and what unique features we should highlight.

 
Competitive Analysis
 

From our research, we created 2 personas:

persona ux
persona 2 UX

At this point in the process, my team and I confirmed that we needed to completely redesign Broomly’s information architecture and streamline design into a cohesive, intuitive product.

 

Design


Our first order of business was to run an audit on the entire software. This was beneficial in gaining an in-depth understanding of the software and all its functions and uses. We used this information to create a new system map, organizing the pages in 3 main buckets: cleaning professionals, clients, and jobs. We also organized each page with all necessary features on a spreadsheet and used this information when brainstorming and sketching.

 
List of pages and features, with examples from competators 

List of pages and features, with examples from competators 

Software map

Software map

 
New and improved design system

New and improved design system

 

We began sketching with pen and paper as a team. We spent a few minutes on our own sketches of a page, then discussed (sometimes defended) our ideas. From there, we went to Axure for wireframing.

A terminology guide was created, choosing the most intuitive vocabulary for employee type, clients, etc. We also created a style and color guide. With these two items streamlined, our individual wireframes were more or less cohesive. As our prototype began to take shape, we did user testing at the Broomly office.

Testing with the CEO showed us that we needed to make a pivot in our design. From his feedback, we realized that we had created an entirely “new song” when what he wanted was a "harmony to the song he had already composed". It was a lesson in the #1 rule of UX: you are not your user. We looked back at the existing software, compared notes from the meeting, and began to incorporate elements according to his feedback.

The main feature in question was the search bar on the homepage. Our original design took the user to a dashboard page upon logging in, however, our CEO liked the single search bar on the first landing page. We followed his wishes, moving the search to the home page and replacing the top search with a search button that would take you to the home page.

 
 

After many sessions of testing and iteration, we had a prototype that could go through a few user flows. I went through each page and adjusted spacing, color, font size, etc. to ensure that the formatting was cohesive.

Link to our Axure prototype: http://l40ljx.axshare.com/#c=2

 

Result


This was a 3 week project, and we were at the end of our timeline. While we were positive that our product was not complete and that much more testing would uncover many necessary changes, we were proud of the initial version. Our presentation to the CEO went much better this time around, and he was excited to present our prototype to investors.